In honor of National PI day 3.14.15 I created a yummy Chocolate Banana Pie with SunButter Crispy Rice Crust. If you tolerate peanut butter feel free to use it in place of the SunButter if you desire. This pie is surprisingly light. It would be a great addition to your Easter or Passover celebration menu. It is also easy enough to make just because or for that birthday celebration where cake is not desired. Chocolate pie is something that I find very comforting. Do you have childhood memories of eating chocolate pudding or pie? Does it bring back fond memories of a loved one who would take the time to make a special dessert for you and your family? You could make this recipe as the pie or if you desire just whip up a batch of the yummy chocolate pudding. This recipe is free of gluten, dairy, eggs and nuts. It is also vegan. I believe this is a recipe that will please everyone. Make one today and share it with family or friends. Please let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Pie with SunButter Crispy Rice Crust
- GF crispy rice cereal - 3 c.
- Coconut flakes - 1/2 c. (firmly packed)
- Medium bananas - 2
- Can full fat coconut milk - 1
- Water - 1 c.
- Granulated sugar - 1/4 c.
- Cocoa powder - 3 tbsp.
- Cornstarch - 3 tbsp.
- Salt - 1/2 tsp.
- Dairy free chocolate chips - 1/2 c.
- Gf vanilla - 1 tsp.
- For the crust-
- In a food processor, process crispy rice until medium fine.
- Next in mixing bowl stir together the SunButter, crispy rice and coconut. Press into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes our until lightly browned. Cool completely. When cooled add sliced bananas to cover the crust. Pour slightly cooled pudding over the bananas and sprinkle with coconut if desired. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- For the pudding- In a medium saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. Stir well.
- Whisk in coconut milk and water.
- Cook over medium low heat until it comes to a full boil and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips and vanilla.
- Allow to cool slightly.